Skip to main content

Bathroom Floor - Part 1: Before Grout

Kerry and I finally decided to get new carpet downstairs in the basement.  The old carpet had stains from the previous owner...and from Stout, too.  We were going to wait another year or so, but I just couldn't stand the carpet anymore. So, along with the carpet came two changes to the basement as well.

The first is the bathroom floor.  80's linoleum. Ew.


It had to go.  If we were going to get nice, new carpet, the bathroom needed to get a nice, new floor.  We couldn't leave him out of all the fun.  

Our new neighbors tackled the job of tiling their bathroom as well.  They still had the exact same linoleum as us.  How lucky!  As I watched her tile, I figured I could too.  So I went and got the exact tile as they did (still matching floors !) and got to work.

First, I got a screw driver to pry off the quarter rounds at the bottom of the baseboard.  Once all those were off, I used a hammer to take out any nails that didn't come out with the quarter rounds.


Then, I pried off the metal transition piece between the rug and the bathroom floor.  After that, I used a box cutter to pry up a corner and just started to pull the linoleum up.



The linoleum was pretty easy to pull up.  Every so often I had to take a putty knife and scrape under it to help it a bit, but other than that, it came up fast.


Once all the linoleum was up, I called my trusty assistant to help remove the toilet.  We did some research and of course YHL came to the rescue and had a good tutorial.  Kerry did a great job !


After that, I continued to scrape away access linoleum adhesive/backing for a while until most of it was gone.  


Once I was finished scraping, I could start tiling.  The night before I started tiling, I laid out the tiles to see how I wanted them to look.  I am very glad that I did this, as it saved my butt from making some mistakes. I practically laid down tile on the whole floor, just to be sure it was how I wanted it to look.


Once it was time for me to start tiling, my neighbor came over to assist and oversee me since this was my first floor tiling job.  

I used Keraflor gray mortar and Roman Stone tiles.  All purchased from Lowe's.




















I also bought a big plastic bucket to mix the mortar in.  It was helpful.

I often wondered how tiles were always put so perfectly into the floor, with straight, even lines.  Well, let me tell you about the coolest invention ever!  The people who thought of these are geniuses!  Tile Spacers!!


I borrowed these from my neighbor as well. 

Now, to the fun part.  I mixed the mortar with water as directed by the instructions.  It ended up being like a cake batter consistency - not too think, but not watery either.  The bag has you using a "mixer" type tool - I just used my neighbor's fancy serving spoon that she used to mix hers.  It got the job done.  Mixing does require some muscle though, so be prepared for a workout !


Once it was mixed, I plopped it down using the spoon that I mixed it with.  I used the spoon to spread it a little into the corners, then took the trowel to spread it more. Once it was spread over an area, I flipped the trowel to the grooved part and made the grooves in the mortar.  A spackle knife also came in handy for those hard to reach corners. 


Then it was read for the tile.  I just started from the back left corner and placed the tile.  Then I put one next to it and under it, placing a tile spacer in between them.  Then I used a level to make sure that one tile was not taller than the other.  This you will need to do often.


I tiled almost the whole bathroom floor except around the toilet hole, back right, and the bottom right before I actually had to use the tile cutter to fit pieces in.  How lucky was I ?!  


I used the same scorer from my neighbor that I used when I tiled my fireplace.  This time, she was here to help.  It was definitely a two person job for these tiles - only because of the way I had to cut the tile.  I only needed to cut about 1/2 a centimeter off the edge.  This was hard, because the scorer works best when cutting down the middle.  Not an edge. 

So I drew a line where I needed to score and then scored the very edge.  Then I used the tile snippers, with the help of my neighbor's foot, and snipped off the edges.   She would press down with her foot as I clamped and pulled up with the tile snippers.  Make sure to wear goggles or close your eyes.  Tile pieces will be flying !


We did break a few tiles in the wrong spots, so make sure you have extra to work with.  We edged off only five tiles to finish it off the front right.  After that, I took a break until Kerry came home to help with the back right.


Once Kerry came home, we pretty much repeated the same procedure.  Draw a line and score.  BTW, I found this video very helpful to guide me in this tiling expedition.


If we were lucky, we'd get a cut that looked like this:


If we weren't lucky, it looked like this: 


And we had to do the whole foot/snipper thing to get it to fit.  We cut tiles for the back right, in front of the doorway, and around the toilet.  For around the toilet, we just cut pieces in hopes that it would fit together like a puzzle.  It pretty much worked out OK.  We actually accidentally cut a few tiles that were curved when we scored, and they fit perfectly around the toilet hole. 


Then I slapped some more mortar down and finished the floor.  The hard part was finished !


It's amazing how different the floor looks already, and it's not even grouted yet !

What big DIY project have you taken up?

Now you can Do It Yourself Too!

~Stephanie

Comments

  1. Are you looking for finest tiling company in Townsville? Jetko Pty Ltd has developed a team of professional craftsmen to deliver floor tiling services in Townsville to residential and commercial clients. We use the latest solutions and tools to ensure that job is done correctly the very first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Construction & building materials in Pakistan make up the majority of structural, foundation components, and envelope of construction projects. You can have highly durable and sustainable construction materials for the strong foundation of your building. Construction chemicals are used in construction activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bathroom Floor - Part 1: Before Grout captures the exciting anticipation of a home improvement project. The meticulous attention to detail and the careful groundwork showcased in this phase promise a stunning transformation ahead. Your dedication to excellence shines through, setting the stage for a beautiful outcome! Dallas Tile Installation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the transformation already seems promising! Can't wait to see how the grout adds that finishing touch. Great job capturing the process.Atlanta Tile Installer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !